Table of Contents
DGS Circular Subject: Standardization of Admission Schedule and Batch numbering system for Competency Courses
Dated: June 18, 2020
- DGS had issued Training circular No’ 03 of 2019 on Feb 28, 2019, S I 02 regarding the admission schedule for MEO Class-I and MEO Class-II preparatory courses. And those who are seeking admission for MEO Class -I and MEO Class-II competency courses have largely benefitted from this circular.
- Whereas there were few other competency courses for which:
- the Commencement Date of the course was not standardized.
- The batches numbering system for competency courses was not standardized.
- the course content of some of the competency courses is structured in a modular form.
- the admissions for the competency courses were not uniform throughout the calendar year leading to uncertainty of seeking admission for the candidate
- candidates have to wait for seeking admission in a competency course, which was a loss of time if a candidate does not get admission to a particular batch.
- To commence the maritime competency course it is important to have a substantial number of candidates to ensure the exchange of ideas, leaming, and sharing of knowledge and to encourage discussions.
- The Directorate had allowed the maritime competency courses to be conducted using Virtual Classes and Live video sessions, pertaining to the DGS Circular No. 19 of 2020 dated May 18, 2020.
- DG Shipping intends to simplify existing procedures for admission in competency courses and batch numbering system to facilitate seafarers and Maritime Training Institute (MTI) for ease of business.
- In view of the above, the Directorate has decided the following:
- The commencement date for all competency courses is now standardized and given in Annexure- I of this Training Circular (check at the end)
- The batch number to be used for a candidate seeking admission in a particular month for a particular competency course has been standardized and given in Annexure-2.
- The batch number to be used for uploading batch details of the candidates seeking admission in
- MEO Class-I, MEO Class-II, SecondMates(FG), Chief Mate Phase-I (FG), Chief Mate Phase-II (FG), and Master Advanced Shipboard Management (FG) has now been standardized and given in Column A and Column B of Annexure- 2 (as applicable) of this TrainingCircular.
- MEO Class – IV (NCV)’ MEO Class – III (SEO-NCV) PART-A, MEOClass-III (SEO-NCV) PART-B, MEO Class- III (CEO NCV), Navigational Watch Keeping officer – NCV, Chief Mate (NCV) Phase.I, Chief Mate (NCV) Phase-II and Master (NCV) Advanced Shipboard Management has now been standardized and given in Column C and Column D of Annexure- 2 (as applicable) of this Training Circular
- At any point in time, the MTIs shall not exceed the approved intake capacity per batch (No. of candidates per batch) for any competency course.
- Any candidate once enrolled in any batch of a maritime competency course has to undergo the full course and complete it without any break within the same batch. In other words, the candidate shall not be allowed to leave a batch in between and join again with another batch.
- This Training circular supersedes DGS Training circular No. 3 of 2019 dated Feb 28, 2019.
- This Training Circular is in effect now.