Table of Contents
- What does Dangerous Cargo Endorsement Certificate signify?
- The DCE Certificate is issued at two different levels:
- Level 1 (Basic)
- Level 2 (Advanced)
- Revalidation of Dangerous Cargo Endorsement (DCE):
- Multiple Dangerous Cargo Endorsements:
- How to apply for New DCE Certificate online:
What does Dangerous Cargo Endorsement Certificate signify?
- Seafarers who hold a DCE Certificate are able to handle maritime dangerous goods in international waters according to the rules put forth by IMO.
- It ensures that a seafarer is familiar with dangerous goods regulations, irrespective of the level you are working on.
- A DCE Certificate is issued to a Seafarer only after he/she has undergone necessary training and taken examination required as per the regulation of respective government. Training in dangerous cargo handling ensures that seafarers are well equipped to handle every emergency on ships.
For Officers: Operational Level Certificate is issued
Issued to Officers and other personnel those who are assigned specific duties and will have responsibilities related to cargo or cargo equipment on Oil, Chemical or Liquified Gas Tankers (STCW 95 Reg. V/1 Para 1) may be granted a DCE at Level 1 for service such tanker, as appropriate, on completion of the following:
- Appropriate Certificate of Competency
- Advanced Fire Fighting Course (STCW Code A-VI/3)
- Approved tanker familiarization course (Oil/ Chemical/ Liquefied Gas Tanker) and for deck officers on oil tankers only: Liquid Cargo Handling Simulator Course (2 days course)
- 3 months of supervised service (Oil/ Chemical/ Liquefied Gas Tanker)
For Ratings: Support Level Certificate is issued
Ratings and other personnel assigned specific duties and responsibilities related to cargo or cargo equipment on tankers (STCW 95 Reg. V/1 Para. 1) may be granted a tanker endorsement at Level 1 for service on oil, chemical or liquefied gas tanker, as appropriate, on completion of the following:
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Course (STCW Code A-VI/1-2)
- Approved tanker familiarization course (Oil/Chemical/Liquefied Gas Tanker) OR
- 3 months of supervised service (Oil/Chemical/Liquefied Gas Tanker)
For Management Level
Masters, Chief Engineer Officers, Chief Mates, Second Engineer Officers and any person with immediate responsibility for loading, discharging and care in transit or handling of cargo on tankers (STCW 95 Reg. V/1 Para 2) may be granted a tanker endorsement at Level 2 for service on Oil, Chemical or Liquefied Gas Tankers, as appropriate, on completion of the following:
- Certificate of Competency at the Operational or Management Level
- Advanced Fire Fighting Course (STCW Code A-VI/3)
- Specialized training programme on Oil/Chemical/Liquefied Gas Tanker operations
- 3 months experience at Operational Level OR 6 months experience as an Officer trainee on the type of Tanker
- Advanced Liquid Cargo Handling Simulator Course, for Deck Officers on Oil Tankers only, 5 days duration
Revalidation of Dangerous Cargo Endorsement (DCE):
The DCE Certificate needs to be revalidated every 5 years as per STCW’95 Reg I/11 Para 1 on completion of the following:
- At least 3 months experience during the last five years on the appropriate type of tanker
- Undertake appropriate Familiarization course as above for Level 1 endorsement
- Appropriate Specialized training programme as above and Advanced Liquid Cargo Handling Simulator (5 days for Deck Officers on Oil Tankers only) for Level 2.
Multiple Dangerous Cargo Endorsements:
A person in possession of Level 2 (Management Level) DEC Certificate for one type of tanker may be given Level 2 endorsement for another type of tanker, subject to fulfilling the conditions as follows:
- A person in possession of Level 2 endorsement for oil tankers will be eligible to obtain an endorsement at Level 2 for chemical tankers on completion of the Specialized training programme for chemical tankers and one month experience at the operational level on a chemical tanker.
- However, an endorsement at Level 2 for chemical tankers limited to category C, D, and other liquid substances may be granted on completion of the Specialized training programme for chemical tankers to persons in possession of Level 2 endorsement for oil tankers.
- A person in possession of Level 2 endorsement for chemical tankers will be eligible to obtain an endorsement at Level 2 for oil tankers on completion of the Specialized training programme for oil tankers, Advanced liquid cargo handling simulator course of 5 days duration (For deck officers only) and one month experience at operational level on oil tankers.
How to apply for New DCE Certificate online:
For Level I
Step 1: Read Training Circular no. 12 of 2019 available at ww.dgshipping.gov.in.
Step 2: Login into seafarer’s profile.
Step 3: Go to “Update Seafarer Profile“.
Step 4: Update your latest and active mobile number and email address.
Step 5: Go to the “Documents” tab & click on “Upload Documents”
Step 6: Read carefully the instructions to upload Photo, Signature, CDC, TAR Book & Passport.
Step 7: Ensure that all the documents are uploaded as per the instructions. If all required documents are not uploaded, the system will not process the case further.
Step 8: The online system will automatically filter and fetch all the eligible candidates for processing of the relevant certificates. NO application needs to be submitted.
Step 9: The candidates will receive a system-generated email after successful generation of certificates.
Step 10: The certificate will be available in ‘Master Checker’ of the seafarer’s profile.
All CoP/ DCEs are automatically processed online and CoP, candidate need not visit DGS / MMD personally. You may go inside your online E-Governance module and click the “Update Seafarer’s Profile” and click the “CoP Grievance” tab and write your grievance. The Grievance would be replied/ resolved online by the Directorate.
- Go to www.dgshipping.gov.in then, e-Governance and log in using your INDOS Number and Password.
- Go to “Documents“
- And then “Update Profile“
- Head down to “Document Type” and select “Passport Pages for CoP Basic”. Upload the pages from Passport in PDF format.
- Hit “Upload”.
- After uploading the Passport Pages, go to Home Page. And click on “Grievance Redressal Mechanism”
- Check if all the details are correct. Select “Other” under “Grievance Type“
- After submitting your Grievance, The status of the application can be viewed by clicking the link, ‘Grievance Redressal Mechanism‘ in the main menu.
For Level II:
- Go to www.dgshipping.gov.in and go to e-Governance
- Log in using your INDOS Number and Password
- Go to “DC Endorsement, GMDSS Radio Operator”
- Click either on “Application for DC Endorsement for Basic (Level I)” OR ” Application for DC Endorsement for Advanced (Level II)” depending on your requirement
- All the required details will be there by default. Select the MMD you are applying to.
- Select the application type. New or Renewal.
- Select Rank you are applying for.
- Select Type of DCE required. Either Chemical, Gas or Oil Tanker.
- After putting all the details click Next.
- In the next screen, enter your postal address and select mode for receiving the DCE Certificate, either BY POST or BY HAND.
- Enter certificate details for the following (For level I):
- Advanced Fire Fighting/ Basic Fire Fighting
- Refreshers AFF/ Basic Fire Fighting
- Advanced/ Basic Tanker Familiarization Course
- Enter Seatime and cargo carried (For Level II)
- Make sure all the details entered are correct. Data cannot be changed after the next step. Once you made sure of that, click on “Generate Application Number”.
- Once the Application Number is generated then click on Pay Now link to proceed for payment. Payment can be done using a Debit Card, Credit Card, Net Banking or Online Wallet.
- Once payment is done you will receive an acknowledgment receipt.
- Now go back to the DCE Application page and click on, “Pay CoC & CoP Fees, Upload Documents and View Status” to upload the application form and supporting documents for DCE Certificate.
- You need to upload:
- Signed application form in PDF Format.
- Photograph in JPEG format as per the required specifications.
- Signature as per specification in PDF format.
- All certificates in one PDF file.
- Company Letter in PDF Format.
- Old DCE Certificate in PDF Format (for renewal).
- Self-attested photo-copied pages of CDC showing all relevant sea-time.
- After uploading documents you can check the status of your application at “Pay CoC & CoP Fees, Upload Documents and View Status“.
- Once the status shows “Approved” either you can personally collect the DCE Certificate from MMD if you have selected the option “By Hand” or you will receive it by post if you have selected the mode “By Post”.